California Domestic Violence Defense Lawyer
The story is far from uncommon; you get into a heated argument with a loved one and subsequently find yourself being handed down domestic violence charges as a result of a neighbor or bystander reporting the incident without any evidence. These charges may have serious consequences and inhibit your ability to find a job or buy a home. Therefore, before making any statements, you should contact an experienced domestic violence defense lawyer at Aron Law Firm to avoid saying anything that could incriminate you.
Our knowledgeable attorneys understand the potential penalties for these charges and the impact they may have on your life. With our team by your side, you will have professionals supporting you every step of the way and fighting for your rights. With our years of experience, we have innovative strategies and reliable resources to take on your case and provide open and honest communication.
What Qualifies as Domestic Violence in California?
According to California Penal Code 13700, domestic violence occurs when someone intentionally, recklessly uses, or threatens to use physical force against an intimate partner. This may happen between more than just couples. Some examples of intimate partnerships that fall under domestic violence include the following:
- Current or former spouses
- Current or former registered partners
- Those currently or previously in a romantic or sexual relationship
- Current or former fiancés
- Current or former cohabitants
- Parents of the same child
- Current or former household members
- Relatives or legal guardians
The relationship of the people involved in the domestic violence case may determine the charges and penalties issued, so it is essential to understand these details to develop a strong defense.
Potential Consequences of Domestic Violence Charges in California
We take domestic violence charges seriously as they may have life-altering consequences, including fines, jail time, and limited rights. Our dedicated domestic violence defense lawyers provide transparent communication about these penalties and may answer any of your legal questions. Depending on the details of your case, potential penalties of a domestic violence charge include the following:
- Mandatory minimum jail or prison time, ranging from months to years
- Domestic violence classes
- Loss of state gun rights
- Loss of custody rights
- Permanent criminal record
It is important to note that the severity of these punishments depends on the type of charge you receive. California classifies some domestic violence charges as misdemeanors, which are lower-level charges. However, domestic violence becomes a felony if a deadly weapon is involved, the victim is injured, or the victim is a child. Repeat offenses and violation of a restraining order may also raise a charge from a misdemeanor to a felony.
Defense Strategies for California Domestic Violence Charges
Domestic violence charges often result from misunderstandings. Nevertheless, these conflicts may have serious consequences and effects on your life. Therefore, hiring a domestic violence defense lawyer with ample experience and dedication is crucial so you have a better chance of reducing your charges. Some of the strategies we use to defend against domestic violence charges include the following:
- Accident: In cases involving fights or disputes, you may argue it was a one-time occurrence or a mistake, and you will do everything you can to ensure it never happens again.
- Self-defense: Perhaps someone threatened to harm you, so you used self-defense to protect yourself. If the individual accuses you of domestic violence, you may demonstrate their abuse and your need to protect yourself.
- Reasonable doubt: There has to be enough evidence to prove your guilt beyond a reasonable doubt to convict you of domestic violence. You cannot receive these charges if the prosecutor does not present enough evidence to do this.
- Factual dispute: Sometimes, the party accusing you of domestic violence does not tell the truth or provide accurate information. We may be able to help you gather evidence proving their statements are not reliable.
We understand that every domestic violence case is different, so we work with you to determine the best path forward to fight for your rights and achieve a successful outcome.
How Might a Domestic Violence Defense Attorney Help With Your Case?
The shock of facing domestic violence charges in California can be so overwhelming you are not sure how to proceed. One of the first and most beneficial steps to take is to contact our trustworthy domestic violence defense lawyers at Aron Law Firm. With our extensive knowledge and experience, we may listen to your story and build a strong defense to better your chances of getting your charges reduced or dropped in the best-case scenario. We provide the following services throughout the entire legal process:
- Answering all of your questions
- Conducting a thorough investigation of your case
- Gathering evidence and doing research
- Formulating a plea
- Negotiating offers and deals
- Interviewing witnesses
- Analyzing the prosecutor’s case
- Casting doubt on the accusation against you
- Utilize resources to build a stronger case
Representing yourself is risky and stressful. Our domestic violence defense lawyers handle every aspect of the legal process to help relieve your worries and speak on your behalf. We may be able to help you avoid serious penalties and will handle your case from start to finish.
Speak With a Professional California Domestic Violence Defense Lawyer at Aron Law Firm
Facing domestic violence charges is a serious matter that could have life-changing consequences. We understand figuring out what to do next may be overwhelming, but you do not have to go through the legal process alone. We are here to take a weight off your shoulders, handle every aspect of your case, and build the strongest defense possible.
At Aron Law Firm, we provide top-notch legal services that have proven successful throughout our years of experience in the industry. Our California domestic violence defense attorneys have the skills and resources to review your case and develop an innovative solution that will protect your rights and reduce your charges. To arrange a consultation, fill out our contact form or call (805) 618-1768.