How a Sex Crime Conviction Can Affect You Long Term
It has been reported that nearly half a million individuals are the victims of sex crimes each year in the United States. Sex crimes are taken seriously by California’s criminal justice system due to the damaging repercussions these crimes have on victims. If you have been accused of a sex crime in California, you may be at risk for severe repercussions. To get help with your defense, contact a California sex crimes lawyer as soon as possible.
Aron Law Firm is a California criminal defense law firm with experience helping clients who have been charged with a sex crime. If you have been charged with a sex crime, a conviction may negatively affect you and your life long term.
What Are Sex Crimes in California?
A sex crime is generally classified as a felony in California due to the inherently violent nature of these crimes. However, there are certain cases that may be deemed a misdemeanor depending on the details of the crime. Sex crimes you may be charged with in California include:
- Rape or aggravated sexual assault
- Statutory rape
- Sexual battery
- Lewd and lascivious offenses
- Indecency with a child or molestation
- Internet sex crimes
- Possession of child pornography
- Sexual assault of a child
- Marital rape
- Indecent exposure and assault
- Sexual intercourse with an animal
- Institutional sexual assault
- Forcing a child into prostitution
- Sexual exploitation of a minor
Under California Penal Code 801.1 PC, specific details of the statute of limitations for these crimes are defined. If a prosecutor decides to file a claim after that statute of limitations has passed for the crime, a sex crimes lawyer may be able to help build your defense, stating that they no longer had the legal right to make a claim against you. When you work with a criminal defense lawyer who has experience with sex crime cases, they may be able to help you with several different defense options.
Ways a Sex Crime Conviction May Impact You Long Term
When you have been convicted of a sex crime, you may be facing severe penalties that may have a long-term impact on your life. Aside from facing legal repercussions like jail or prison time and costly fines, a sex crime conviction may affect you in the following ways:
- Disqualification from private employment at a majority of major companies, jobs involving children, and in the public sector
- Restriction of your ability to travel internationally
- Deportation or inability to become a citizen of the United States
- Inability to become a foster parent or denial of adoption petitions
- Denial of admission to an institute of higher education and denial of access to financial aid
- Inability to take part in certain volunteer work
- Denial of access to certain dating websites or applications
- Denial or revocation of professional licenses
- Inability to use public facilities like community pools or parks
If you are at risk of a sex crime conviction, it is crucial that you contact a sex crimes lawyer. When you work with a sex crimes lawyer, they may be able to help you get the charges against you reduced or dropped by building a strong defense.
Contact a California Sex Crimes Lawyer
If you are facing charges for a sex crime in California, you may be feeling like the entire California legal system is against you. However, that is not the case. Contact a California sex crimes lawyer to get help building your defense.
Aron Law Firm is a trusted criminal defense law firm dedicated to helping clients in California who have been accused of a serious crime. We understand that this type of conviction can ruin a person’s life. You deserve a second chance and a fair trial to share your side of the story. To get started on your defense case, contact us here or call (805) 500-0483.