A firearm charge may lead to incarceration, losing the right to carry, and other losses that may damage your future. At the Aron Law Firm, our seasoned defense lawyers understand what it takes to preserve our clients’ rights and freedoms against firearm convictions.
If you’re facing state or federal weapons charges in Santa Barbara, California, it is essential to consult with a skilled criminal defense lawyer promptly. Contact the Aron Law Firm to schedule a confidential case review and learn your best legal options to resolve your case.
What Are the Most Common Firearms Offenses in California?
Despite California’s tough-on-gun laws, firearm-related offenses are common in Santa Barbara and throughout the state. If you’ve been accused of a firearm offense, life may become incredibly complicated without a Santa Barbara firearms defense lawyer by your side to help you navigate this challenging situation.
At the Aron Law Firm, we advocate for our clients against firearms charges at the state and federal level, including:
- Assault with a weapon
- Aggravated assault with a deadly weapon
- Brandishing a firearm
- Providing false statements to obtain firearms
- Carrying a concealed or loaded handgun
- Unlawful discharge of firearms
- Illegal sale of a firearm
- Dealing in assault weapons without a license
- Transfer of large-capacity magazines
- Improper handling of a firearm in a vehicle
- Manufacture or possession of destructive devices
- Using guns for self-defense or in a restricted area
Aron Law Firm criminal defense attorneys defend our clients who face charges involving various weapons or circumstances, including:
- Shotguns and short-barreled rifles
- Grenades and grenade launchers
- Machine guns or their conversion parts
- Multi-burst trigger activators
- Outlawed arms like brass knuckles and switchblade knives
- Firearm possession by a convicted felon
- Unregistered firearms or assault weapons
In California, deadly weapons may also include box cutters, keys, tear gas, and motor vehicles. Individuals may be charged with aggravated assault with a deadly weapon for using their fist if they injure someone. Any allegations involving another person’s injury in California will require an accomplished firearms defense lawyer to avoid the worst possible penalties.
What Are the Penalties for Firearm Charges in California?
In California, firearm charges may be misdemeanors or felonies. The severity of the charge you face depends on the type of offense, the activity, and your previous criminal record. Additional penalties may be imposed when firearm enhancement laws are considered in the sentencing.
Penalties for different levels of firearm charges in California may include:
- Misdemeanor charges, punishable by fines up to $1,000 and up to one year in jail
- Felony charges, punishable by up to twenty years in California State Prison
- Firearm enhancements, which may permit a judge to extend a prison sentence, depending upon the judge’s discretion
Until January 2019, mandatory sentences could extend various firearm charges in California. For example, twenty years could be added for firing a weapon, and 25 or more years could be added to a prison sentence when a severe injury or death occurred. Since the start of 2019, California legislation now provides judges more discretion in sentencing.
How Can a Firearms Defense Attorney Protect My Gun Rights in California?
Your right to bear arms is protected under the Second Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. Firearms defense attorneys with The Aron Law Firm are proficient in using these guaranteed provisions to defend your gun rights in California. You are innocent until proven guilty, and our responsibility is to establish your innocence in court to a judge or jury beyond a reasonable doubt.
The Aron Law Firm’s firearms defense lawyers have helped clients obtain acquittal in firearm charges and may help you accomplish the same results depending on your unique case.
We may help your firearms case by:
- Collecting evidence to support your case
- Making all necessary court motions
- Interviewing all relevant witnesses in your case
- Negotiating a favorable plea if required
- Pursuing a reduction or dismissal of the charges against you
- Pursuing alternative sentencing like community service or electronic surveillance if conviction is inevitable
Depending on the facts of your case, there may be several avenues for a viable defense strategy that might lead to the resolution of your case without criminal penalties. At this time, it’s crucial to discuss your case in detail with a competent criminal defense lawyer in California.
Contact a Santa Barbara Firearm and Weapon Offenses Lawyer at the Aron Law Firm
A firearms charge may be a worrying and stressful experience. If you’ve been arrested for a firearm charge in California, contact the Aron Law Firm to speak with our Santa Barbara firearms defense attorney, William Aron.
As a former California Deputy District Attorney, William Aron has exceptional insight and a sound understanding of state and federal gun laws. To speak with him about your situation, schedule a confidential consultation today by completing a contact form or calling 805-317-7827.