DUI probation in Santa Barbara is informal probation that may last anywhere from three to five years. Also known as “summary probation,” it is a type of inactive supervision applied to many people convicted of driving under the influence and other misdemeanor crimes in California.

In Santa Barbara, summary probation is used as a substitute for a jail sentence. Many people who are convicted for DUIs are not considered a risk to their communities, so the State of California may allow them the opportunity to serve the majority, or entirety, of their sentence under court supervision rather than behind bars.

With this type of probation, there are no probation officer meetings, and nobody will stop by your home or workplace to check on you – but violating the terms of your DUI probation may come with extreme consequences.

If you have been accused of violating the terms of your DUI probation in Santa Barbara, your freedom could be in jeopardy. Contact an Aron Law FirmAron Law Firm attorney to acquire qualified legal counsel and explore your legal options today.

Terms of DUI Probation in Santa Barbara, California

Although probation for misdemeanor DUIs is typically less demanding than formal felony probation in California, there are still various conditions that you must meet.

When on DUI probation in Santa Barbara, you cannot commit any crimes. Committing a crime while on probation means having to face crueler consequences than someone not on probation would face if they had committed the same crime.

Californians who are not under probation for DUI are allowed to have under .08% blood alcohol concentration when in the operation of a motor vehicle. Many adults are able to drink one or two alcoholic drinks and still fall within this legal limit. However, if you are under DUI probation, you are not allowed to have any alcohol before getting behind the wheel. If you are pulled over in Santa Barbara with any measurable amount of alcohol in your system while on DUI probation, you will face the consequences for violating the terms of your probation.

Other conditions that your DUI probation terms may require include:

  • Installation of an IID (ignition interlock device)
  • Counseling attendance
  • Community service
  • Restitution payments to the victim
  • Completion of alcohol abuse classes
  • Abstinence of alcohol use
  • School attendance
  • Retaining employment

Summary probation for DUI is supervised by the court system in Santa Barbara rather than the probation department. Therefore, a judge may schedule progress hearings or arrange blood, urine, or breathalyzer tests to ensure probation term adherence.

What Happens If You Violate California Penal Code 1203.2?

Violating the conditions of your DUI probation or Penal Code 1203.2 in Santa Barbara will subject you to severe consequences. Depending on the severity of your violation, a California judge could choose to:

  • Overlook the violation or give you a warning
  • Modify the probation order, most likely with stricter conditions
  • Revoke summary probation in exchange for a tougher penalty

Should a judge revoke your summary probation, you could face a jail sentence up to the maximum allowable term. Depending on the type of probation violation committed, the judge may sentence you to the maximum penalty for the initial DUI or a more severe punishment if the violation involved a new offense.

Contact a Qualified DUI Probation Violation Attorney in Santa Barbara, California Today

If your DUI probation has been violated, secure the help of an Aron Law Firm Santa Barbara probation lawyer as soon as possible so we may begin building a solid defense for your case. No other probation attorney in the Santa Barbara area will help you navigate the DUI probation violation process with the same level of intelligent and assertive defense as Aron Law Firm.

When your freedom is on the line, you cannot afford to risk unqualified representation. Allow Aron Law Firm to protect your rights and provide the strong defense you need. Call (805) 500-7745 or complete our convenient contact form to request more information about your legal options.